After the launch of the first online course in January, you will find highlighted videos and open educational materials here! We encourage institutions to adopt and adapt our open educational materials to serve the professional development needs of their postdocs.
Here is a sneak peek of the postdocs who shared their stories and perspectives with the Postdoc Academy.
The first Postdoc Academy course is titled “Succeeding as a Postdoc”. This series of modules will address foundational skills and career planning, establishing the professional habits postdocs will need to strategically prepare for their career and succeed in their postdoc.
The second Postdoc Academy course is titled “Preparing for a Successful Career” and is scheduled to launch early 2021. This series of modules will build advanced skills that will enable postdocs to transition to independence.
Resources for Postdocs
While some skills for postdocs are discipline-specific, there are many competencies that apply to postdocs of all disciplines and stages. Below you will find some (of the many) resources available to postdocs.
Finding Success as a Postdoc
- Optimizing Postdoc Training: Get the Postdoc Training You Need
- Time to Rethink Graduate and Postdoc Education
- The Postdoc Situation
National Postdoctoral Association Mentoring Plans
- Resources include how to develop a postdoctoral mentoring plan, how to be proactive in your mentoring relationships, NSF mentoring requirements, and more.
- Note: You must be a NPA member to access these resources. Check with your local postdoc office to see if your institution is a member!
AAMC Compact between Postdoc Appointees and their Mentors
- This compact can help align the expectations in the postdoctoral mentor-mentee relationship.
- Offers a set of guiding principles to initiate discussions around postdoctoral mentoring.
Finding Alignment on Expectations
- Table 5.1 in Proactive Postdoc Mentoring provides a checklist for postdocs and their faculty mentor/research group.
- These reflection questions could guide conversations about finding alignment on expectations between a postdoc and mentor.
Exploring and Preparing for a Successful Career
- Myers-Briggs Personality Type
- SkillScan: Identify your transferrable skills
- DiSC Profile: Determine your behavioral tendencies and preferences
- Science Careers: STEM-focused blogs
- Beyond Academia: Graduate student-run, highlights non-academic careers
- Beyond the Professoriate: Focuses on non-faculty careers
- InterSECT Job Simulations: Simulate daily tasks from different career paths (STEM and humanities)
- The Versatile PhD: View job application materials, new Options4Success course
Working Effectively in an Intercultural Environment
National Research Mentoring Network Webinars
- Research Science and the Messiness of Engaging Cultural Diversity
- A Conversation on Culturally Aware Mentoring (in partnership with iBiology)
- Resources to Enhance Culturally Aware Mentoring (in partnership with iBiology)
- Choosing Diversity: A Bigger Us (in partnership with iBiology)
National Postdoctoral Association Diversity Webinars
- Diversity: The Key to Innovative and Creative Solutions
- Diversity: Implicit Bias – An Obstacle to Achieving Diversity
- Diversity 101
- Large library of resources for diversity-minded opportunities, including funding, fellowships, and travel awards.
NIH Scientific Workforce Diversity Toolkit
- Provides resources and tips for promoting diversity at your institution, creating a diverse talent pool, and mentoring for diverse scientists
American Psychological Association Resources
- APA provides an extensive guide on The Road to Resilience, including building resilience and identifying resources to look for help.
National Postdoctoral Association Webinar
- An extensive resource to learn about the skills and attitudes that are associated with resilience.
- Recognize the advantages of resilience in overcoming obstacles and adversity.