The Postdoc Academy: Succeeding as a Postdoc
The first online course, “Succeeding as a Postdoc,” addresses foundational skills and career planning, establishing the professional habits postdocs will need to strategically prepare for their career and succeed in their postdoc. This five-week course will run three times a year on the edX platform: January 13, 2020; June 22, 2020; and October 5, 2020.
We encourage institutions to adopt and adapt our open educational materials to serve the professional development needs of their postdocs. Explore course resources for each module:
The Postdoc Academy: Preparing for a Successful Career
The second Postdoc Academy course is titled “Preparing for a Successful Career” and is scheduled to launch in 2021. This series of modules will build advanced skills that will enable postdocs to transition to independence. Postdocs will explore:
- Project management
- Managing through team-building
- Career preparation
- Application of evidence-based teaching
- Leadership and networking
- Rigor and reproducibility
Additional Resources for Postdocs
While some skills for postdocs are discipline-specific, there are many competencies that apply to postdocs of all disciplines and stages. Below you will find some (of the many) resources available to postdocs.
Finding Success as a Postdoc
- Optimizing Postdoc Training: Get the Postdoc Training You Need
- Time to Rethink Graduate and Postdoc Education
- The Postdoc Situation
National Postdoctoral Association Mentoring Plans
- Resources include how to develop a postdoctoral mentoring plan, how to be proactive in your mentoring relationships, NSF mentoring requirements, and more.
- Note: You must be a NPA member to access these resources. Check with your local postdoc office to see if your institution is a member!
AAMC Compact between Postdoc Appointees and their Mentors
- This compact can help align the expectations in the postdoctoral mentor-mentee relationship.
- Offers a set of guiding principles to initiate discussions around postdoctoral mentoring.
Finding Alignment on Expectations
- Table 5.1 in Proactive Postdoc Mentoring provides a checklist for postdocs and their faculty mentor/research group.
- These reflection questions could guide conversations about finding alignment on expectations between a postdoc and mentor.
Exploring and Preparing for a Successful Career
- Myers-Briggs Personality Type
- SkillScan: Identify your transferrable skills
- DiSC Profile: Determine your behavioral tendencies and preferences
- Science Careers: STEM-focused blogs
- Beyond Academia: Graduate student-run, highlights non-academic careers
- Beyond the Professoriate: Focuses on non-faculty careers
- InterSECT Job Simulations: Simulate daily tasks from different career paths (STEM and humanities)
- The Versatile PhD: View job application materials, new Options4Success course
Working Effectively in an Intercultural Environment
National Research Mentoring Network Webinars
- Research Science and the Messiness of Engaging Cultural Diversity
- A Conversation on Culturally Aware Mentoring (in partnership with iBiology)
- Resources to Enhance Culturally Aware Mentoring (in partnership with iBiology)
- Choosing Diversity: A Bigger Us (in partnership with iBiology)
National Postdoctoral Association Diversity Webinars
- Diversity: The Key to Innovative and Creative Solutions
- Diversity: Implicit Bias – An Obstacle to Achieving Diversity
- Diversity 101
- Large library of resources for diversity-minded opportunities, including funding, fellowships, and travel awards.
NIH Scientific Workforce Diversity Toolkit
- Provides resources and tips for promoting diversity at your institution, creating a diverse talent pool, and mentoring for diverse scientists
American Psychological Association Resources
- APA provides an extensive guide on The Road to Resilience, including building resilience and identifying resources to look for help.
National Postdoctoral Association Webinar
- An extensive resource to learn about the skills and attitudes that are associated with resilience.
- Recognize the advantages of resilience in overcoming obstacles and adversity.
Blogs on Finding Resilience as a Postdoc