Introduction Video References
- Lashuel, The busy lives of academics have hidden costs – and universities must take better care of their faculty members, Nature, 2020.
- Grinstein & Treister, The unhappy postdoc: a survey based study, F1000 Research, 2018.
- Alves, Oliveira, da Silva Paro, Quality of life and burnout among faculty members: How much does the field of knowledge matter?, PLoS One, 2019.
- Langin, As professors struggle to recruit postdocs, calls for structural change in academia intensify, Science, 2019.
- Wanelik et al., Breaking barriers? Ethnicity and socioeconomic background impact on early career progression in the fields of ecology and evolution, 2020, Ecology & Evolution.
- LaMonaca Wisdom, M. Faculty Job Dissatisfaction Isn’t About ‘Burnout’, 2023, The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- London & Noe, London’s Career Motivation Theory: An Update on Measurement and Research, Journal of Career assessment, 1997.
- Boice, R. “Quick Starters: New Faculty Who Succeed.” New Directions for Teaching and Learning, no. 48. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1991, 111-121.
- JOMO (Joy Of Missing Out) Cartoon: https://www.leunig.com.au/works/recent-cartoons/769-jomo.
- Cravens, Nelson, Siders, Ulibarri, Why four scientists spent a year saying no, Nature, 2022.
- Woolston, Full time is full enough, Nature, 2017.
- Rest as Resistance, The Nap Ministry, Tricia Hersey.
- How am I doing? Physically, mentally, spiritually, socially, environmentally, intellectually, financially…?
- How do I define productivity? Does this definition include elements pertaining to work-life integration? Does my behavior mirror this definition?
- Are there elements of Belonging, Equity & Inclusion (or lack thereof) in my team, department, institution, etc. that take a toll on my productivity? Is my advisor aware of it?
- To what extent can I become more productive? Why? Where can I implement change (e.g., fend off distractions) vs where can my advisor be of support (e.g., adjust the workload)?
- Cao & Ngetich, The need to normalize failure, Nature Reviews Chemistry, 2023.
- Work-Life Balance for Postdocs, National Postdoc Association.
- Heidt, Heeding the happiness call: why academia needs to take faculty mental health more seriously, Nature, 2023.
- Public Webinars on Mental Health in Academia (recordings available on that same webpage), Lashuel Lab, EPFL.
- Unraveling Faculty Burnout, Rebecca Pope-Ruark, from Teaching in Higher Ed.
- Professor-ing when life happens, and The Other R&R (Recreation & Rest) from the PROFESSOR-ING Podcast.
- Ten Things Early-Career Professional Can Do to Promote Better Work-Life Balance, Faculty Factory Podcast.