Introduction Video References
- Source of the identity wheel: https://ukrio.org/resources/research-integrity-resources/equality-diversity-and-inclusion/
- Powell, K., Academia’s ableist culture laid bare, Nature, 2021.
- Boustani, K. and Taylor, K.A., Navigating LGBTQ+ discrimination in academia: where do we go from there?, The Biochemist, 2020.
- Hardeman, K., I’m a Black scientist, tired of facing racism and exclusion from academia, Science Careers, 2023.
- Eaton, A.A., et al, How Gender and Race Stereotypes Impact the Advancement of Scholars in STEM: Professors’ Biased Evaluations of Physics and Biology Post-Doctoral Candidates, Sex Roles, 2020.
- Stansbury, A., Economics Needs More Socioeconomic Diversity, Harvard Business review, 2022.
- Cornwall, A.,Mentoring Underrepresented Minority Students (when you are white), Inside Higher Ed, 2020.
- SEARLE CENTER for advancing learning and teaching, Defining DEIJ.
- What did I learn from the identity grid exercise? Anything I would like to share with my mentor?
- Do I feel like I am treated fairly/equitably in my current role? If not, what could be done to improve that (access/resources, clarity on the work culture and expectations)? Where specifically could my mentor help?
- Do I feel welcome in my research team/department? To what extent does this impact my sense of competency and productivity? Is there any feedback, positive or negative about the team culture that I want to share with my mentor?
- If I am doing well from an Equity & Inclusion perspective, are there colleagues within my team that would need my support or my mentor’s support?
- Implicit Bias: What it means and How It Affects Behavior, ThoughtCo., 2019.
- Social Identities and Systems of Oppression, National Museum of African American History and Culture.
- Wanelik, K.M., et al, Breaking barriers? Ethnicity and socioeconomic background impact on early career progression in the fields of ecology and evolution, Ecology & Evolution, 2020.
- Kumagai, Arno K. MD; Lypson, Monica L. MD. Beyond Cultural Competence: Critical Consciousness, Social Justice, and Multicultural Education. Academic Medicine 84(6):p 782-787, June 2009.
- On Diversity: Access Ain’t Inclusion, Anthony Jack, TED Talk.
- Get comfortable with being uncomfortable, Luvvie Ajayi, TED Talk.
- Mentoring URM Faculty for Academic Excellence, STFM, YouTube video.
- How Does Mentoring Impact Diversity in the Biomedical and Behavioral Research Workforce?, NIH Scientific Workforce Diversity Seminar (recording).
- Podcast episodes on mentoring, Faculty Factory Podcast.
- CARES Mentoring Online Training Program – for a mentee-centered mentoring approach that acknowledges and addresses the psychological needs of mentees – by the University of Minnesota, the Center for Self-Determination Theory, and the National Research Mentoring Network.
- Register for the CARES training program as a guest following these instructions.
- Note: the system needs a few minutes to acknowledge your profile, before you can access UMinnesota’s Canvas and take the course.
- Unconscious Bias Online Course, National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN). This course will help you address your personal unconscious bias, teach you about microaggressions, provide a solutions toolkit, develop your self-awareness, and discuss bias and disparities in medicine and healthcare.